Day One

I’ve said goodbye to home for the next 14 days. My bed, the kettle, TV, radio, microwave, fridge and even my car have been left behind. Oh, I forgot the shower and toilet. I have got my toothbrush!
This morning people at Sheffield Cathedral wished me well, prayed over me, told me to stay safe and to be careful. I have no intention of not being careful and I know this sleepout is to genuine rough sleeping what glamping is to trekking in the Himalayas. There is a world of difference. 
I have chosen to sleepout and prepared for it. I walked away from home already equipped with a sleeping bag and tent. Having both is not unknown for rough-sleepers, but having them on your first night of sleeping rough is. By rights, I should have to do at least one night with nothing, unable to sleep and, at this time of year, probably walking around to stay warm when it comes to the really cold part of the night at about 3am. 
There are so many differences between my sleepout and genuine homelessness but when I was talking to a few people who are former rough-sleepers they told me not to worry, I would learn enough! That’s what I hope. It’s started already. Where do I go now? What do I do? There’s a lot of hours between now and bedtime. I’ve given up family life, I have no-one to speak to, in a busy city centre I feel alone and with a rucksack on my back and dressed for the worst weather, I don’t fit in. It’s a weird feeling.

Tim Renshaw
Archer Project CEO

If you want to know more about changing the lives of people who are homeless visit www.archerproject.org.uk 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 11

Afterthoughts 3

Day Three